Search Box

Monday 2 May 2011

Shahnaz Sheikh



This babe has just got to be THE most beautiful, the most talented, natural, flawless, refreshingly funny – perfect actress ever, who could carry herself well throughout comedy and tragedy scenes equally with sheer brilliance.
Anyone who has watched her in the 80's teleplays Ankahi and Tanhaiyan will totally agree.
Where is she now I wonder?
She never turned up at the Hasina Moin special of ‘Yeh aap ki zindagi hai' (the Urdu ‘This is your life'), I was a bit gutted because no one could truly embody the heroine of Hasina Moin's scripts as well as Shehnaz Sheikh could. She should have been there!
Others having starred in Hasina Moin's written plays include Zeba Bakhtiyar, Marina Khan, Nadia Khan, Roohi Bano and Sahira Kazmi, but no one did it quite as well as Shehnaz. (Did you guys know she was meant to play the role of Henna in place of Zeba Bakhtiyar?).
I plan to write some more in-depth notes on Hasina Moin pretty soon by the way, I love her far too much, she's my hero.
In a way I'm also glad Shehnaz Ji hasn't resurfaced these days, I'd probably end up upset seeing her as an aged woman, it'll put a stamp of finality on an era long gone, that i'm fast holding on to. 
Btw I loved the drama Bewafaiyan so much, it's a relatively new drama (well it's made in the '00s for one!) but with old-schoolers Sajid Hassan and Marina Khan as leads, has that tinge of nostalgia. Really sweet..
Let's hope someone one day can revive television, just as they are working on cinema today, it needs a drastic facelift.
Yes you can tell I just finished watching Tanhaiyaan and Ankahi back to back over the course of these two weeks. I cried and laughed plenty throughout both.
Long live Shehnaz Sheikh, may she flourish as the beautiful, ever young woman of our imagination, wherever she is. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment